Our History

As Fairy Parker (former member) used to say:

“We are warming by the fires they kindled and drinking from the cisterns they dug.”


In the Beginning—Wayside and Sherman


In March 1914, a group of eight people began meeting in what was known as Atkins Hall in Magnolia Park at the     corner of Harrisburg Boulevard and 67th Street.  Originally they called themselves the Central Park Church of Christ.  In 1915, they purchased property next to the corner of Wayside and Sherman streets.  In November 1916, a small building was erected on that site.   Brother W.H. Floore was employed as the first pulpit minister.  In September 1924, the adjacent corner lot was purchased, and a brick veneer building was erected.   A minister's residence was built on the original lot.

When the ‘old-timers’ talk about the beginning,

they always say:

“when we met over the drugstore.”

In 1946, all the original structures were removed and a new building project began.  In 1949, an air-conditioned   building with a 500-seat auditorium, classrooms, nursery, and office was built.  Two years later, an educational   annex was added.


"My earliest memory of the church is Brother Floore as a very old and loved man who had his own   special rocking chair down front of the building right by the pulpit.  Brother Floore was 80 years old at the time."

The mid-1930's began "an era of extensive evangelism.  Many new congregations began as a result of this evangelistic effort.  One of which was a new congregation that began in the Harrisburg Library.  This new congregation was a result of a big tent meeting in that area.  Some of the 'charter members' of this new congregation were members at Central Park Church of Christ who lived in the Harrisburg and Manchester area." (See Broadway Church of Christ.)


In 1946, all the structures at Wayside & Sherman were removed and an extensive building program    began.  The old building was moved to Redwood & Ilex in Pecan Park and became the "meeting house" of the Pecan Park Church of Christ.

New Location - 9020 Gulf Freeway

Another major outreach that began during those years was the work in Queretaro, Mexico.  Our elders and other members made several trips there, and the Miguel Arroyo family visited us as well.  A building was built, a preacher school began, and at least five congregations were established in the outlying areas of the city. In time, the major support of this work was taken over by another U.S. congregation. Tragically, Miguel was killed in an auto accident on January 5, 2013.



In the following decade, the tremendous growth being experienced made it apparent to the leadership that it was   desirable to find another meeting place.  In 1964, construction began on property between the Gulf Freeway and  Hansen Road.  In March 1965, 78 families moved to the new location.  The congregation then became known as the  Southeast Church of Christ.  During the first 15 months on Gulf Freeway Southeast doubled in size.  New records were being set and in October 1966, a second worship service was added.  During the 1970's and '80's, the church had an active bus ministry.  At one point, there were four different bus routes running in the neighboring housing  areas and apartment complexes.


In June of 1986, about 100 people from the Sun Valley Church of Christ came to us and added a large pool of talent and excitement.


In June of 1986, about 100 people from the Sun Valley Church of Christ came to us and added a large pool of talent and excitement.


When the new auditorium was built, the old  auditorium became a multi-purpose area.  It was used for ice cream suppers, Ladies' Days, wedding receptions and VBS.  The first big VBS "production" was Mt. Sinai, with Mark Gage and Jimmy Fletcher as Moses and Aaron.  Dick Hasty was the high priest in a purple robe, complete with tinkling bells, and  Bill Higginbotham was impressive as the voice of God.


The annual fish fry was a big event that everyone looked forward to. Several men fished throughout the year, and we all got to feast on their catch in the summertime.

For several years, New Year's Eve was celebrated with games and goodies in

Rooms 101 & 102 and a devotional at midnight.

Joining Hands & Hearts -



The Broadway Church of Christ began meeting in 1936 at the old Harrisburg    Library on Broadway Boulevard.  The church built a small building on Junius Street but later sold it and met in Deady Junior High from 1944-1948.  In 1948 ground was broken for a building at 2414 Broadway.  The Broadway church was very mission-minded and went on through the following 25 years to contribute to works in 12 foreign countries and 5 continents.  At home, the group added an education building with 19 classrooms, a library, business office and minister's study.  In 1956 a residence on Concord Street was purchased as a minister's home.  In 1963 the church assumed full-time suport of Richard Andrejewski in Lille, France, in addition to work in Tanganyika, Africa, and the local Spanish work.  By the early 1970's, changes in the vicinity made it apparent that the church needed to make a move.


In 1973 the Southeast and Broadway congregations merged, and the Broadway congregation began meeting in the Southeast building.  Approximately 90 families came from Broadway, "joining hands and hearts" with the 250 families of Southeast.  The elders and deacons of the two groups also merged.


One Sunday morning a young single mother was having a time corralling her children during the sermon. Sure enough the toddler got away, crawled under the pew in front of her---and all the way to the front where he stood up right in front of the preacher!  Editorial comment:  I guess some sermons just need a little levity added!

Richard Andrejewski, the minister in France supported by Broadway, was tragically killed in a car wreck on his way to the airport.  He had been in the US on an information and fundraising journey.  Broadway continued to help support his widow and children for several years.

New Community - 2400 West Bay Area Blvd


As people began moving out and businesses and light industry began moving in, the neighborhood around the church began to transition. The bus ministry really felt the changes.  These changes along with other factors, caused the leadership to begin considering relocating the church.  After much prayer, consideration, and searching, the property at 2400 West Bay Area Boulevard in Friendswood was purchased.  The congregation entered into a season of prayerful soul-searching which resulted in a successful capital campaign. In 2003 they broke ground at the new location.


Opening day was the third Sunday in January, 2004.  Many rode shuttles from the Target parking lot that morning, so that visitors and guests could park on our lot.

Through the years, Southeast has been active in local and international missions and outreach efforts, including World Bible School (WBS). There are many great       stories—too many to tell. When Southeast helped support the Greg Taylor family in Uganda, they were able to meet some of the new converts reached through WBS. The WBS ministry has had renewed interest in our present location.

In 2006, Rick Fyffe introduced Hope for Haiti's Children to Southeast; it immediately struck a chord in many hearts.  The church quickly became immersed in activity that has seen    significant personal involvement from our members. Today Southeast supports nearly 300 children for Christian education. Many members have made one or more mission trips to Haiti.  Our young children, with support from their families, donate weekly to support six children at the Cite Soleil School.  Our attachment to these children is a personal one.


The last three years has witnessed a more rapid increase in membership, averaging 125 new members per year. Today, our local involvement includes Christian Helping Hands, an Angel Tree at Christmas, support for Texas International Bible Institute, and support for a family in the mission field. Southeast has been active in a ministry to help homeless families, and to provide school supplies and shoes to those in need each school year. There are numerous benevolence and support programs from our 39ers’ Group and Good Samaritan Ministries.  The July 4th celebration and Fall Festival event in October attract many people from the surrounding neighborhood.  The Vine preschool and Children’s Ministry Summer Camps are also attended by those in the vicinity who are not otherwise connected with the church.  Our youth program does excellent work ministering to inner city kids each summer.

As we enter the next century of our congregation's life, we continue to plan for growth, remembering all the while that our work is to glorify God and bring others to Him.


When the new building was at a certain stage, some groups would come in on weekends to look around.  An informal project began, wherein we wrote on the concrete slab--prayers and scriptures.  The teens took care of the gym.  At the preacher's spot on stage was written:

"I stand upon the word of God, the B-I-B-L-E."

The library adopted a scripture as a motto or mission statement-- Luke 2:52: "And Jesus grew in wisdom and stature and in favor with God and men."  The wall hanging in the library is "The Carpenter's Square" pattern, recalling our carpenter/Savior.


2400 West Bay Area Boulevard    Friendswood, Texas  77546    281.992.2168